Cancer is not just a disease. It is a container in which various ailments caused by rapid, uncontrollable division in the body cells which then spreads to other organ and tissues reside. It has become the most deadly disease in the world, claiming more lives than any other.
It is the expectation of the body cells to die off, reproduce and grow in a specified life cycle that is proportional to the type of the cell. As new cells are reproduced, they take the responsibilities of the dying ones in order for the organ to keep up with its functionality. Cancer, however, gets rid of this process and hence, causes serious ailment that in most cases, lead to death.
Cancer mutation is so strong that it tends to migrate into the bloodstream. This process, called the metastasis of cancer is the most advanced stage of it, making it more fatal and becoming harder to get rid of.
Different types of cancer
The method used in classifying cancers depends on the organ on which they occur and the kind of cell that they are made of. As highlighted before, this ailment tends to extend to other body parts as they propagate to gain more regions in the body. Alphabetically, the most common cancers are:
- Carcinoma: This starts in the tissue lining in the inner and outer surfaces on the human body. It is also known as the skin cancer.
- Leukemia: This is the cancer often situated in the bone marrow; the very cell responsible for blood cells creation.
- Lymphoma and Myeloma: These are the cancers of the immune system
- Sarcoma: This is found in the inner body connectivity such as the muscle cartilage, the bones as well as the blood vessels.
READ ALSO: Chronic kidney disease is on the rise
Causes of cancer
While the actual cause is yet to be known to man, medical practitioners have narrowed down the probable causes to the followings:
- Cancer-causing viruses such human papiloma virus (HPV)
- Direct exposure to cancer-causing chemicals such as radiation substances, the sun and carcinogens
- Health conditions that cause inflammation
- Insane amount of hard alcohol intake
- Lifestyle choices such as dietary and some physical activities
- Smoking of tobacco and other substances
The prevention practices
Once you know the potential causes of cancer, protecting yourself from getting it becomes an easy task. Experts have hence given us some ways to prevent our body from exposing to cancer-causing diseases. According to verifiable studies, the followings are the preventive measures of cancer.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking of tobacco
- Avoid being in the sun for so long. Use sunglasses and umbrellas to protect yourself from direct sun rays which usually occurs between 10am and 4pm
- Do not be too busy to engage in physical activities for at least 30 minutes of your day
- Ingest balanced diet and avoid unhealthy substances consumption
- Practice safe sex and avoid engaging in risking behaviours
- Visit a doctor regularly to know the status of your health
Common cancer treatments
While there is no possible overall treatment for cancer yet, experts are working tirelessly on providing adequate measures. Among the available ones are:
- Alternative medicine and drug therapy
- Diseased bone marrow transplant
- Radiation therapy