What to know about vaginal odor
Vaginal odor is any odor that originates from the vaginal. It’s normal for the vaginal to have a slight odor, but a strong vaginal odor for instance ‘’fishy’’ smell might be abnormal and could indicate a problem.
Abnormal vaginal odor that happens because of infection or another problem is usually associated with other vaginal signs and symptoms such as itching, burning, irritation and discharge.
Vaginal odor is a very common problem that most women have to deal with at least once or twice in their life.
This odor can be due to number of reasons such as; bacterial growth, yeast infections, poor personal hygiene, hormonal changes, and sexually transmitted diseases. If the problem is due to infection, there may be symptoms like redness, itching, burning and irritation in the vaginal area. A fishy odor down there in particular is caused by Bacteria Vaginosis.
Vaginal odor can be very embarrassing. There are many natural remedies to help treat it.
Causes of vaginal odor
- Hormonal changes
- Something you ate
Tips for preventing future odor
Once you eliminate the unusual vaginal odor, keep these tips in mind for preventing another problem later.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Aim to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. A balanced diet makes for a healthy body which includes your vagina.
- Stay Hydrated: – Drinking plenty of water is good for more than your skin. It can help your vagina’s overall health too, by encouraging healthy sweating and fluid release.
- Wash your vaginal before and after intercourse. Sex introduces bacterial, as well as foreign substances like lubrication and spermicide from condoms. Wash before and after sex to maintain natural bacterial level.
- Cut out tight clothes: – Clothes that are too tight don’t let your vaginal area breathe. Getting plenty of oxygen is vital to good vaginal health.
- Wear cotton panties: – cotton panties wick away excess moisture from sweating or discharge. Synthetic fabrics are not as good at this.
Ways to get rid of vaginal odor
Occasionally, you may need a little help getting rid of an. The following techniques may help you naturally eliminate unusual vaginal odor.
- Use only exterior deodorising products if you want to use them on the outside of your vagina. Don’t insert them, they can upset your natural chemistry and lead to bigger problems.
- Change your underwear: If you normally wear satin, silk, or polyester panties, make the switch to 100% cotton. Cotton is breathable and does an excellent job wicking away sweat and fluids from your body. Excess moisture can upset your natural bacterial levels.
- Consider a PH product over the counter (OTC) product may be helpful for restoring your vagina’s natural PH. If you try one and the odor remains or grows worse, make an appointment with your doctor. You may need to use a different product or look for a stronger prescription alternative.
- The essential oils: This treatment has very little medical research to support it, but anecdotal evidence suggests tea tree oil, a type of essential oil helps eliminate vaginal odor. This essential oil has natural antimicrobial and fungal properties, which may help reduce and eliminate bacterial. First mix a few drops of tea tree oil with water then apply a drop or two to the outside of your vagina. Repeat this for three to five days. If symptoms don’t improve or worsen, discontinue use.
- Prescription treatment: This can help eliminate underlying causes that are contributing to the odor. If your home or OTC treatments aren’t successful, it may be time to seek treatment from your doctor.